Sunday, March 3, 2013

Simulation: The Future of Education


Simulation in Nursing Education
One of the reasons I chose Globe University/Minnesota School of Business’s Nursing Program was because of their innovative simulation labs.  We have several manikins that simulate real body functions and react accurately to medical treatment; one that goes by the name of Stan and is our critical care manikin.  This technology allows us novice-nursing students to practice our skills and become comfortable as well as competent without potentially harming a real patient.  When we enter the real world of nursing, we will already have strong nursing skills, thanks to Stan.
 
Simulation is the Future
Simulation is being used, not only in nursing schools, but in hospitals and clinics also.   It is becoming the new standard of education.  Dr. Sharon Stanke, an educator at the Minneapolis Veteran’s Affairs Health Care System and a faculty member in the Globe University/Minnesota School of Business nursing program, created a simulation program to educate novice critical care nurses on how to provide care to open-heart patients.  She found that by providing them with adequate education, in a safe environment, the novice nurses performed better and improved patients’ stability. 

2 comments:

  1. I did not know that this school had a lot of simulation when I had originally picked this school. And although simulation are very nerve wrecking, they have provided me with the experience of situations that I would maybe have never seen before I was out in my own practice. Simulations give the opportunity to make mistakes and not affect a status of a real patient because it is on manikins. I feel like I get really stressed out before some imulations only because I want to do well. I also believe that simulations is the future. I feel like the new nurse residency programs/new grad programs include simulation a lot. I am glad we have had all the experiences with simulation, and hopefully our growth and experience in stressful situations will shine through as we continue on.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Simulation is such a great learning tool. To see that simulation experiences are the future for prepare nursing both in universities and on site is exciting. There are so many situations that we will see throughout our careers that we may never get the chance to experience in a clinical rotation, so it is nice to have a method to expose learning to a real world applicable learning situation. I personally gain so much from our critical care simulations, which I know most schools aren’t able to provide their students. I feel like our experiences in our simulation have set us so far ahead of other nursing students who do not get the same exposure!

    ReplyDelete